Youth Co:Lab Indonesia: Call For Applicants!
Youth Co:Lab is a Youth Entrepreneurship initiative by United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Asia-Pacific to position young people at front and center in order to solve the region’s most pressuring challenges. Continuing the success in Hongkong, Vietnam, Thailand, and other Asia Pacific countries, Youth Co:Lab will finally be held in Indonesia. Led by Innovative Financing Lab under UNDP Indonesia Country Office in partnership with BEKRAF, HUBUD, Citi Foundation as well as network partnership, this initiative aims to provide a platform for knowledge exchange for innovation and capacity development trainings for youth social entrepreneurs and start-ups.
Co-created in 2017 by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and the Citi Foundation, Youth Co:Lab aims to establish a common agenda for countries in the Asia-Pacific region to empower and invest in youth, in order to accelerate the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) through leadership, entrepreneurship and social innovation. Youth Co:Lab also works closely with multiple stakeholders, including governments, civil society and the private sector, to strengthen the entrepreneurship and start-up ecosystem and to promote policies that will support and enable young people to take the lead in finding and developing new solutions for social and environmental problems in their communities. Inspired by the same spirit, Innovative Financing Lab is developing several financing instruments, including an impact accelerator that will mainly focus on entrepreneurship, start-up, accelerator and social enterprise incubation.
As an incubator for start-ups and social enterprises led by youth, Youth Co:Lab plans to engage youth, preferably from Eastern Indonesia, who have an interest in entrepreneurship, start-up and social innovation. Trained by BEKRAF, HUBUD, PLAN, and other expert mentors, the graduates will participate in a two-week Boot Camp on 1-14 November 2018 at HUBUD, Ubud, Bali, and a day of National Dialogue on 6 November 2018 at Bali Nusa Dua Convention Center, Bali.
The Boot Camp will mainly focus on the topic of ‘Youth Economic Empowerment in Rural Areas’. The program will last for two weeks and will be hosted by UNDP and HUBUD alongside other partners. Selected students will participate in daily sessions led by notable experts to build a sustainable start-up or social enterprise which will cover broad range of aspects required in entrepreneurship and start-ups ecosystem, including design thinking, system mapping, communication, legal frameworks and finance, lean planning and pitching, and other supporting themes. The design of the Boot Camp will also allow students to access mentorship from industry experts as well as learning materials from HUBUD and other partners. Three best graduates will be selected at the end of this program.
The National Dialogue session aims to connect selected students with social entrepreneurship and start-up experts from both public and private sectors along with impact investors, angel investors, accelerators, venture capitalists, donor countries, and other relevant partners to address rural youth issues in building up a supportive environment for social entrepreneurs.
In partnership with BEKRAF for their World Conference on Creative Economy (WCCE), the main objective of National Dialogue is to develop policy recommendations for social entrepreneurship and start-up ecosystem. The participants will focus on developing the problem statement, policy objectives, and recommendations to support Government of Indonesia in youth and entrepreneurship policy making.
1. To produce youth-based social entrepreneurs and start-ups in Eastern Indonesia and cultivate the social entrepreneurship and start-up ecosystem in Eastern Indonesia.
2. To share information and experiences about the start-up ecosystem, social innovation and entrepreneurship with youth from Eastern Indonesia.
3. To reduce the level of youth unemployment in Indonesia by cultivating the entrepreneurship culture and increasing their skills through available tools and resources.
4. To accelerate the achievement of Sustainable Development Goals 1, 8, 10, 17.
5. To produce national policy recommendations regarding youth-based startup policies.
1. University students aged 17-23 years old. Priority areas of origin: Kalimantan, Sulawesi, Maluku, Nusa Tenggara (both East and West) and Papua.
2. Have previous experience in starting an enterprise, start-up and/or any form of movement within the local society.
3. Demonstrated leadership ability and critical thinking.
4. Demonstrated passion to start a community within their social circle.
5. Fluency in spoken and written English and Bahasa Indonesia is required.
6. Motivated to contribute towards peace, development and sustainability.
Interested applicants are required to fill application form on UNDP Indonesia website or bit.ly/Applicants-YCLIndonesia. Send confirmation of your application form submission by attaching the following documents to Ms. Lady Diandra (firstname.lastname@example.org).
1. Curriculum Vitae in English (max. 2 pages).
2. Video of applicant’s motivation for applying (max. 5 minutes).
3. Profile of social enterprise/start-ups.
Deadline: 20 October 2018
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview between 21-24 October 2018.
Letter of Acceptance and Study Guide
Selected applicants will receive Letter of Acceptance and Study Guide by 25 October 2018.
Note: This project is fully funded