How to become a UN Volunteer
UN Volunteers contribute their time, skills and knowledge through volunteer action. All around the world, UN Volunteers help people lead more productive and fulfilling lives, such as through their work on projects in quality education and improved healthcare, or by ensuring equitable access to community resources and sustainable practices. UN Volunteers at times also work with governments and other local partners, helping to boost local capacity and augment knowledge. Their combined efforts can be a significant force for achieving peace and development.
National UN Volunteers make a positive impact on their homeland while working alongside people from around the world, including international volunteers and other United Nations professionals. National UN Volunteers are invaluable assets to the work of the United Nations, particularly at the community level where they usher in greater ownership of programmes and projects.
Join us now and help your country move faster toward reaching the Sustainable Development Goals.
Learn more about national UN Volunteers
- National UN Volunteers must be one of the following: 1) nationals of the programme country; 2) legally resident in the country or territory with the status of refugee; or 3) legally resident in the country with the status of statelessness.
- The minimum age for a national UN Volunteers is 22 years old, and there is no upper age limit.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree is required for most of assignments.
- The minimum of two years’ relevant work experience is required.
- All national UN Volunteers should read, write and communicate effectively in one or more local languages and be able to communicate in the working language of the United Nations in the country.
For more information on requirements, visit UNV website.
Conditions of Service available here.
Check vacancies here.
International UN Volunteers promote peace and development in communities around the globe, while upholding the ideals and aspirations of the United Nations. International UN Volunteers come from 160 countries, representing many cultures and backgrounds. They bring a wide variety of perspectives and approaches which lends a dynamism to the experience.
Learn more about international UN Volunteers.
- 25 years old and older (no upper age limits).
- University degree or higher technical diploma.
- At least two years of relevant work experience in a professional background
- Good working knowledge of at least one of UNV’s three working languages: English, French or Spanish
For more information on the requirements, visit UNV website.
Conditions of Service available here.
Resister in our Global Talent Pool.
UN Youth Volunteers
UN Youth Volunteers are required to be between 18 and 29 through the assignments. UN Youth Volunteers help advance peace and sustainable development either in their own country or in another country around the globe. They help people to lead healthier and safer lives and communities to be able to better address present and future challenges.
Learn more about UN Youth Volunteers, here.
UNV only advertise position here when seeking applicants for a specific area of professional expertise and/or for projects that require a large numbers of UN Volunteers. In order to be considered for these special calls, you must first register your profile in the UNV Global Talent Pool. Each of these special calls has a unique code which you must directly select from your profile page.
Online volunteering allows organizations and volunteers to team up to address sustainable development challenges – anywhere in the world, from any device. Online volunteering is fast, easy – and most of all, effective.
Through the online volunteering services, UNV offers:
- A global platform for organizations and online volunteers to contact;
- An easy-search data base of online volunteering opportunities;
- Tools to manage volunteers’ and organizations’ online collaboration;
- Access to online volunteering experiences, best practices and lessons learned;
- The possibility for volunteers and organizations to expand their network;
- The advantage of the universal reach and neutrality of the United Nations.
Everybody who is 18 or older can become a UN online Volunteer.
To find opportunities, visit here.
To find volunteers, visit here.